Fortuna Audaces Luvat
A Ministering Angel Thou

Apparently One Defies Biology AT ONE'S PERIL

So. Let's see.

I let questionably sick Edward skip OT this morning and left the twins at home while I drove Patrick to school early for cooking club. Today's theme was hors d'oeuvres and he did quite a nice seared sliced tuna on a rice cracker with a little ginger-soy-pineapple salsa - an old Fine Cooking recipe and a good one; although it astonishes me how much food photography has improved in the past decade. The picture in the magazine did not look remotely appetizing to me but Patrick saw the words 'soy' and 'tuna' and that was it for him. He told me that next week is heritage week and instantly followed with, "And I am NOT making haggis."

I said, "Of course you're not. Who would want you to?" and I pondered Patrick's background: Scots, Latvian, Irish and English. Not exactly the top four culinary destinations of the world. He's leaning toward Latvia (partially to snub me - mo chreach! - and partially because his grandfather [Steve's birth father] emigrated after the war, which makes him at least 150 years closer to his homeland than the rest of us) so if you have any good Latvian recipes to share let me know.

I dropped him off with his tuna (I am losing more plastic containers to this club, I swear - I told Patrick that he will have to start carrying his contributions in his pockets if he doesn't get my rubbermaid back to me) and then called the pediatrician in hopes of getting Edward in today. The receptionist told me our guy was booked and offered me times later in the week or a different doctor. I hemmed and hawed and finally decided to take our doctor's first available a couple days hence. Then I asked if I could leave a message for his assistant.

I know I have told you this before but it bears repeating: ALWAYS DO THIS. If you really think something needs to be seen sooner than the scheduler can manage it does no harm whatsoever to convey this to a nurse or medical assistant. I left a message on the triage line explaining that Edward had finished antibiotics for pneumonia a week ago and was starting a cough again and we would really like to get in today and were willing to wait if there was any way he could possibly squeeze him in.

The nurse called back moments after I walked in the door and asked if I could bring him to the office by nine. Get there in twenty minutes? No, not really, seeing as how Caroline appeared to still be in her pajamas, reading a novel over an uneaten breakfast.

"Yes!" I said. "Thank you. Absolutely."

Twenty-two minutes later I hustled Edward and a very disgruntled Caroline ("I lost my place and my skirt is on backwards!") into the practice where I had to explain that we were expected, honestly, and six minutes after that I was telling our pediatrician that I REALLY appreciated his seeing us and it was probably just a cold.

On cue Edward said, "But it smells when I cough."

And the doctor said, "Oh. What does it smell or taste like?"

"It smells like pneumonia."

He looked at me. I shrugged.

Exam, exam, listen, thump, listen... .

Our pediatrician said, "I think it is more likely sinus drainage but he cannot breathe too deeply without coughing so I'd like to do a chest x-ray just to be certain we aren't missing anything."

I said, great. He said, "And how are you Miss Caroline? It's not like you to be so quiet."

Caroline said, "My throat hurts."

I said, "It does?" and the doctor said, "Oh, really? Since when?"

"Since yesterday," Caroline said and I thought... well, I am not going to tell you what I thought because it was ungenerous.

So Caroline and Edward switched places and he checked her ears and her throat - this, just to reiterate, on a day when he was fully booked and we were there without one appointment let alone two; I love him.

He said, "Well, she's bought herself a strep test."

"What?" I said.

"WHAT?" Caroline yelped.

"Throat doesn't look too bad but her lymph nodes are quite swollen."

Edward went off for his x-ray, Caroline wept through her throat culture and I read a book about sharks having forgotten both my Kindle and my phone... oh and socks for Edward but that was less of an issue for me.

Eventually the doctor returned to inform me that, yes, Edward has pneumonia and, surprise, Caroline has strep. I whimpered.

Thirty minutes later the pharmacist at CVS joked, "Too bad they have different prescriptions - I could have put it all into one big jug for you" but I was only able to muster a polite Ha Ha laugh. Ha Ha, yes, both children are now on antibiotics for two solid weeks, Ha Ha. 

Edward started a fever tonight and is looking and sounding worse by the second so I feel comfortable assuming that he has suddenly succumbed and was in truth ok yesterday but I swear Caroline is the wellest sick child I have ever seen in my life: no fever, boundless energy, healthy appetite; if this is what strep looks like... I don't even know what to think.